Hand in Hand Islington – A Volunteer Peer Buddy Scheme
A new programme that will train and support volunteers to accompany local people in Islington with mental health issues to appointments, services, activities and events.
We are looking for Peer Buddies to offer at least 1 day a week to:
• Remind people of appointments.
• Support people by helping them travel to appointments that they would struggle to get to on their own, and being with them to provide support and reassurance. • Help others by providing conversations that are reassuring, friendly and helpful. • Assist linking others by offering information and signposting to local services and activities.
What you will gain volunteering as Peer Buddies:
• Opportunities to improve work related planning, service and communication skills and get training on how to be a Peer Worker
• Links into local employment specialists for employment support and advice to find paid roles.
• Gain confidence and work readiness through volunteering in your community. • An up-to-date reference.
• Advice and support to assist with your role.
• An opportunity to give back to your community by providing an essential service. Upcoming training for Peer Buddies:
If you have experience of mental health problems, want to make a real difference in your local community, learn new skills, meet new people and gain great experience, get in touch and book a place!
To have a chat about the role, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Proudly brought to you by Manor Garden’s Welfare Trust, Islington MIND, Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust, (LBI) Islington Council & The SidebySide Network